[Catalog-sig] Please turn off ratings

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Apr 7 07:28:10 CEST 2011

Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> writes:

> On 06/04/2011 18:25, Michael Foord wrote:
> > Would it be fair to split the yes vote by offering alternatives?
[…]

> It just dilutes what we're trying to establish here: do people want
> ratings on PyPI? Yes or no?

That doesn't address the “wishing for ponies” problem Laura Creighton
raised. From a “yes” answer to that question, you have no information
about what the respondent thinks “ratings on PyPI” actually entails, nor
what they're unwilling to compromise to have it happen.

“Do you want better public education?” is far more likely than “Do you
want funding diverted from health care to education?” to receive “yes”
answers. The information from the former poll doesn't capture much
useful.

--
 \        “No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep |
  `\                                up.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |