[Catalog-sig] Can PyPI have a new field that stores the code repository URL?

Daniel Greenfeld pydanny at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:24:49 CEST 2011

Hey Tarek,

In PEP-345 there isn't a specific URL field. Instead we have to hope
that people add something and then follow a 'source code' label
convention. To know to add this field, one needs to know the
convention, and that is in PEP-345, far from PyPI and its
instructions. Even if instructed, from a sociological point of view
one could argue that this is not the most efficient way to handle the
issue.

My request is for a obvious, specific field. An obvious, specific
field will encourage package owners to provide links to their source
code repositories. The field and the APIs it will feed will allow
tools like Packaginator, Read the Docs, Depot.io, and other
yet-to-be-invented tools a clear path to the source code repo for
existing and unknown reasons.

Thanks!

Danny Greenfeld

--