[Catalog-sig] Can PyPI have a new field that stores the code repository URL?

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sat Apr 9 00:57:50 CEST 2011

On 04/08/2011 04:07 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Am 08.04.2011 21:30, schrieb Jacob Kaplan-Moss:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I added in PEP 345 a field where you can store any number of urls for
>>> the project
>>>
>>> Check it out, PyPI also support displaying it under a "Project Links" portlet
>>>
>>> example: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gfbi_core/0.2
>>
>> It looks like these don't show up on the /simple pages, making
>> scraping of those links a bit complicated and brittle. Can that be
>> added? Or is there another way to fetch these links more
>> programmatically?
>
> It's available through XML-RPC:
>
> py> p=xmlrpclib.ServerProxy("http://pypi.python.org/pypi")
> py> p.release_data('Distutils2','1.0a1')['project_url']
> ['Repository,http://hg.python.org/distutils2',
> 'Documentation,http://packages.python.org/Distutils2', 'Bug
> tracker,http://bugs.python.org']
>
> I wouldn't put it on the simple page, since it's not related to
> installing the software.

I nodded to myself in agreement at first, and then remembered that
setuptools is willing to download and install from at least Subversion URLs:

 $ /opt/Python-2.7.0/bin/virtualenv --no-site-packages \
   /tmp/foo
 $ env | grep RSVN
 RSVN=svn+ssh://repoze@svn.repoze.org/svn
 $ /tmp/foo/bin/easy_install $RSVN/compoze/trunk
 Doing subversion checkout from svn+ssh://repoze@svn.repoze.org\
   /svn/compoze/trunk to /tmp/easy_install-Giyqv5/trunk
 Finished processing dependencies for compoze==0.4

I don't know if it will do so from Mercurial, Git, or Bazaar URLs (maybe
if you have the appropriate plugins installed?)  I also don't know
whether it scrapes VCS URLs from the '/simple' interface.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com