[Catalog-sig] The removal of ratings sucks

Marcello Perathoner marcello at perathoner.de
Thu Apr 28 13:06:04 CEST 2011

I'm upset, because I *was* using the rating system. I also *knew* the
limitations of this feature. I didn't think of choosing an application
framework based on the rating. I'm not that stupid. (But I have just
learned that some people believe that I'm that stupid. Thank you!)

The rating system helped me choose the best candidate for quick hacks,
but sadly this "battery" is not included anymore.

When I'm adding a simple feature that should not take more than 5
minutes to do, I don't want to compare package features, nor see the
package's web site, nor see how many tickets are open, nor if the
maintainer answers their email ... I want what other users think is the
overall best package.

I'm surprised that this useful feature has been removed.

I'm even more surprised, after reading the relative thread, that the
feature has been removed in an effort to kill the messenger by package
maintainers that got bad ratings. How could that happen after there was
a (pretty fair) poll that showed the majority was wanting a feature like
that?

Is PyPI run by a vociferous minority?

But the most ironic thing in that thread must be that most people, who
were against what they said was a "naive" voting system, could not
express their opinion better than by saying:

+1

In summary: PyPI as a website is now pretty useless for me. I'll just
google for "python package doing something" instead.

--
Marcello Perathoner
webmaster at gutenberg.org