[Catalog-sig] Does registering a python distribution makes it you the author?

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Tue Aug 16 03:42:51 CEST 2011

2011/8/16 Alexis Métaireau <alexis at notmyidea.org>:
> I've packaged and uploaded a project on PyPI, without being the author of
> it. I've set up the correct fields (author and author_email) in the setup.py
> to the real author, but PyPI states I'm the author anyway, maybe because
> it's linking it to the PyPI account I've used to do the upload.
>
> The PyPI page is here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/peinard/0.1, and the
> setup.py is here: https://raw.github.com/feth/peinard/master/setup.py
>
> It doesn't look like an intended behaviour: is it something known and is
> there a way to fix it?

It looks like behaviour that has been present in the distutils
register and upload commands since the very first versions. When
building the POST variables for the submit we use:

            'author': meta.get_contact(),
            'author_email': meta.get_contact_email(),

And there's no maintainer info submitted. I don't recall why this is the case.

    Richard