[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:07:06 CET 2011

On 11 December 2011 23:02, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:

> On 12 December 2011 09:36, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > If you think that this is still different from what you are asking:
> > What specific packages would be tagged with that classifier (I need
> > two at least), and did that package authors agree to add the classifier
> > to their package if it was available? Which specific classifier do you
> > propose to add?
>
> I believe the unittest2 package is a good example of a package that
> would be tagged with "python 2 only" as it represents a backport of
> the python 3 unittest module to python 2.

Although there is a Python 3 compatible distribution of unittest2, which is
currently called unittest2py3k. (It is maintained as a set of patches
against CPython head - hence separate distributions for the same package
names). Python 2 Only is still applicable to unittest2, until / unless I
decide to use a single distribution for both.

My only worry is that the classifier would seem to indicate that there
*isn't* a Python 3 distribution available, when in fact there is.

All the best,

Michael

>    Richard

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/