[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Dec 12 10:17:28 CET 2011

On 12/12/2011 2:28 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> But if the current party line in python-dev that goes something like "if
> you don't want to port to Python 3, you don't have to" is to be
> credible, then ongoing maintainers who choose not to port to Python 3
> should not be subject to pressure exhibited by sites like the "wall of
> shame".

I am a sometimes developer who has no idea what site you are talking
about. But given that it exists and gets way too much attention, I can
the usefulness of the proposal, which seemed senseless until I read this
post.

There is a fairly short list of the best and most widely used library
packages that I *hope* will either get ported or replaced by a new Py 3
package. Basically, enough so that 'don't use Python 3 because it lacks
3rd-party libraries' can be put to rest. But I expect that substantial
portions of the stuff on PyPI never will be.

--
Terry Jan Reedy