[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Dec 16 18:53:12 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 03:53 +0200, Yuval Greenfield wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com>
> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 12:29 +0200, Yuval Greenfield wrote:
>
>         > 1. If this forum likes it I'll add a lock icon next to
>         packages with
>         > the "Programming Language :: Python :: 2 :: Only" classifier
>         with the
>         > following mouse-over: "The maintainers of this code have
>         declared it
>         > will run on Python 2 only for the foreseeable future". This
>         might
>         > lessen the social pressure on the maintainers to port. I
>         don't think
>         > it'll help the PR issue.
>

>         For the record, at least one package is already using the new
>         "2-only"
>         classifier now:
>
>         http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Pylons/1.0.1rc1
>

> I added both features (python2only and py3equivalents). It took a lot
> longer than I expected and cost $0.10 of GAE quotas...
>

> Please do critique:
>

> http://python3wos.appspot.com/

Thanks for adding the feature.  The way you've decided to do it, I guess
folks can't really opt out of the "shame of being red" by using a python
2 only tag.  Also, given the composition of packages on there, that
chart will be all-red more or less forever; there's unlikely to be many
newly charting python 3-compat packages any time soon, at least none
that overtake the "will always be red" ones which have been around for 8
+ years.  Lame.

- C