[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Stefan Krah stefan-usenet at bytereef.org
Sun Dec 18 00:37:35 CET 2011

Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Stefan Krah <stefan-usenet at bytereef.org>
>     1) ordereddict is part of:
>     2) pylint supports Python3 (from their README):
>
> 1) Fixed.
> 2) This is the same issue as with docutils. I believe that either a maintainer
> of PyPI needs to add the trove classifier for them or someone should contact
> Logilab and ask them to add the trove classifier.

The persons who are running PyPI should only edit individual pages in
exceptional situations (illegal content etc.).

I was under the impression that you want to to promote Python3 adoption.
Why don't you contact Logilab and check the rest of the packages manually?

> 3) Why is it that plone and zope have 81 packages on PyPI?

I don't think it is the top priority of PyPI to facilitate generating
automated statistics. Also, anyone can upload a package without any
editorial process.

> In the next top 100 > there are 7 green packages
> (cssutils, argparse, pytest, pyramid, versiontools, PyYAML, scipy). So if I
> consolidate plone and zope we get to about 59/200 vs 52/200. Not a huge jump
> but a worthwhile one.

I don't know enough about the organization of the zope.* hierarchy. Perhaps
some people want to see that e.g. zope.interface is green.

On the whole, I believe that users of zope and plone are already acutely
aware if/when Python3 compatibility will happen. For the rest of Python
users, it would be far more interesting to see a wider variety of
packages.

Regarding the lock icon on a red background: Authors who use the
Python::2::Only tag want to be left alone. It is completely beyond
me why someone who once made a package freely available should
have a moral obligation to follow language changes forever.

What are you going to do in 10 years? Leave the Pylons entry with
a lock icon? How about maintaining a "wall of shame" for free
packages written in K&R C or free packages written in FORTRAN 77?

If an author has decided to use the classifier, he already accepts
that his package might get less attention in the future. This isn't
an easy decision, so please respect the intent of the classifier and
remove such packages from your site.

Stefan Krah