[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 20:46:57 CET 2011

On 16 December 2011 23:01, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Stefan Krah <stefan-usenet at bytereef.org>wrote:
>
>> [Not replying to Chris, I don't have the previous mail]

>> I don't think this site is very useful in its current form. I immediately
>> found two false positives:
>>
>> 1) ordereddict is part of:
>>

>> http://docs.python.org/dev/library/collections.html#collections.OrderedDict
>>

>> 2) pylint supports Python3 (from their README):
>>
>> "2to3 is integrated into the distutils installation process and will be
>> run as a
>>  build step when invoked by the python3 interpreter:
>>
>>  NO_SETUPTOOLS=1 python3 setup.py install --no-compile"
>>

>> Also, the site would look a lot greener if there were just two rows for
>> all zope.* and plone.* packages.
>>

>> Stefan Krah

> 1) Fixed.
> 2) This is the same issue as with docutils. I believe that either a
> maintainer of PyPI needs to add the trove classifier for them or someone
> should contact Logilab and ask them to add the trove classifier.

I strongly believe that your website would be of much greater use to the
Python community (instead of actively harmful) if packages that have Python
3 support show up in green. I'm very pleased (thank you) you've done this
with packages like ordereddict and unittest2, but some (additional) manual
curation for packages that do support Python 3 will complete the job.

All the best,

Michael Foord

> 3) Why is it that plone and zope have 81 packages on PyPI? In the next top
> 100 there are 7 green packages
> (cssutils, argparse, pytest, pyramid, versiontools, PyYAML, scipy). So if I
> consolidate plone and zope we get to about 59/200 vs 52/200. Not a huge
> jump but a worthwhile one.
>

> Yuval Greenfield

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil