[Catalog-sig] "python 2 only" classifier

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:05:10 CET 2011

On 18 December 2011 23:09, Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Stefan Krah <stefan-usenet at bytereef.org>wrote:
>
>> Yuval Greenfield <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Stefan Krah <
>> stefan-usenet at bytereef.org>
>> >     1) ordereddict is part of:
>> >     2) pylint supports Python3 (from their README):
>> >
>> > 1) Fixed.
>> > 2) This is the same issue as with docutils. I believe that either a
>> maintainer
>> > of PyPI needs to add the trove classifier for them or someone should
>> contact
>> > Logilab and ask them to add the trove classifier.
>>
>> The persons who are running PyPI should only edit individual pages in
>> exceptional situations (illegal content etc.).
>>

>> I was under the impression that you want to to promote Python3 adoption.
>> Why don't you contact Logilab and check the rest of the packages manually?
>>

> I'd already contacted several maintainers of packages with such a request.
> Starting this project I assumed PyPI would be a reliable source for this
> information, so I hope you can understand my mindset. I guess the WOS is
> also good for motivating package owners to fix their classifiers.
>
> On that note, I think PyPI should require python modules to declare which
> version they're compatible with or tested on.

The use of trove classifiers at all isn't compulsory on PyPI, so although I
agree it would be *preferable* for all authors to use them correctly I
don't think PyPI is going to require it any time soon.

>> If an author has decided to use the classifier, he already accepts
>> that his package might get less attention in the future. This isn't
>> an easy decision, so please respect the intent of the classifier and
>> remove such packages from your site.
>>

> The WOS's main goal is to measure Python3 adoption in some non-trivial
> fashion. Total downloads isn't a perfect comparison as many downloads
> happened in the 8 years Python2 had a head start. Still, I don't know of a
> better metric. Removing packages that are a gigantic part of the python
> community would completely defeat the purpose of the site.
>
> If/when Richard implements the statistics call to PyPI, I might be able to
> implement more metrics.
>

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> some (additional) manual curation for packages that do support Python 3
>> will complete the job.
>>

> Fine, fine, fine.... I added these cute little red triangles to the newly
> green docutils and pylint. Are there others I should know of?

Thank you, a great improvement.

All the best,

Michael Foord

> Yuval Greenfield
>

> ps, some of you might prefer this limited edition better:
> http://python3wos.appspot.com/?pygmalion=1

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil