[Catalog-sig] A prerelease.pypi.python.org

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 13:12:19 CET 2011

Hello

In my blog entry about dev releases at PyPI -
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/do-not-upload-dev-releases-at-pypi

Glyph proposed this:

  "...wouldn’t it be plausibIe to fix for all versions of Python
packaging tools by making a prerelease.pypi.org staging area, which
could be explicitly selected / enabled?"

I think this is a great idea.

1/ all tools are already able to point to another PyPI root
2/ it would allow users to opt in for "unstable releases"

For this to work, we would need the "prerelease" index to also publish
the "final" index content, because most tools are still unable to
merge repositories, so I am not sure about how this could be done.

Maybe "prerelease" could be a simple alias on the same server, and we
detect via the virtual host it was used so we can decide:

1/ if the package being uploaded is marked as not final
2/ if 'non final' packages are included in browsing requests

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org