[Catalog-sig] API search by python version (or classifier)

Brian Jones bkjones at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 03:36:34 CET 2011

Sorry, including the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Jones <bkjones at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Catalog-sig] API search by python version (or classifier)
To: Richard Jones <richard at python.org>

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Brian Jones <bkjones at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm wondering how hard it would be to provide a search by either Python
> > version, or better, classifier?
>
> You clearly mean something other than the "browse" interface already
> present in the web interface. What sort of search would you mean?

Sorry, I left out the word "programmatic". Of course the search feature is
in the browser. I'd like access to that data programmatically. Read-only is
all I'm looking for, though I see no reason to limit a hypothetical API that
way.

> > In truth, I'm wondering about all sorts of features that might bring PyPI
> > into the current century, for example, a REST interface, more robust (and
> > faster) searching capabilities (like searching by dependency), a more
> > intuitive notion of 'ranking', tagging, an API for easy_install-like
> tools
> > that don't require scraping, etc.
>
> These all sound like great ideas. I would love for developers of tools
> like easy_install to help design more efficient, non-scraping
> interfaces for PyPI. I've stated this publicly for years now :-)

So what's the holdup? Why has nothing happened? I'm not attempting to come
off as a curmudgeon, I'm really interested in the process and hurdles. I
guess I just don't get how the dev cycle works for this project. I mean, if
a maintainer of a project would like something to happen, I can think of few
people in a better position to make it happen. It would seem to follow,
then, that the chances of *my* getting anything done myself are probably
slim if the maintainer himself has affected no change in my area of
interest.

> Note that the recent mirroring efforts probably limit some of the
> really fancy things you can do in a distributed sense.

I'm not sure I understand this. I understand that there's a mirroring
process, but I don't understand how that limits me.

> > Is any of this on the radar? Is there a
> > published document along the lines of '2011 Goals'? Is the TODO list the
> > only current notion of a roadmap for PyPI?
>
> I have no current goals for the system. I'm not aware of any that
> Martin (the other developer) might have, not am I aware of anyone
> actively working on any patches.

But... you just stated goals that align with mine above. And why is it that
a maintainer of the project has no goals for said project, and isn't working
on patches? And if nobody is working on patches, then what is the role of
catalog-sig? Is it just a committee who deems potential patches worthy or
not?

> > I've written an application myself to provide PyPI-like features
> internally
> > due to frustration in dealing with PyPI itself from a dev perspective.
>
> Frustration which at least I was completely unaware of :-)

I had spoken about it to others, and only from those conversations did I get
pointed to this mailing list, presumably in the hopes that something could
be done (I can dream anyway).

> > I gather that supporting external developers was probably not an initial
> > design goal of PyPI.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "supporting external developers".

I mean, in short: "making as much data available publicly and
programmatically as possible, in a manner that is not tied to or driven by a
particular language, platform, or tool". As it stands, it would appear that
while there have been some piecemeal achievements, the only external
development that is really supported by PyPI are those that are already
known entities, mostly named in the PEPs. I'm suggesting that PyPI would be
of wider value to the community in general, and would increase the velocity
of improvements in the packaging and distribution areas specifically if PyPI
provided a generic interface to make use of all of the available data.

> The initial design goals of PyPI were captured in PEP 301
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0301/ ... and it's grown
> organically since then.

Richard, I thank you and any other participants for your work and your time
on this project. I hope my frustrations aren't taken as a sign of
disrespect. None is intended.

All the best.
brian

--