[Catalog-sig] API search by python version (or classifier)

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Wed Jan 26 15:12:13 CET 2011

Hi Brian, Tarek,

Le 26/01/2011 13:47, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> Alexis has started such a prototype using CouchDB, because he wanted
> to experiment a REST-like interface to replace our current XML-RPC
> APIs, CC'ing him.

Yes, I'm currently writing a PEP proposition, which is by now available
in here:
https://bitbucket.org/ametaireau/pypioncouch/src/79681bd0caa3/pep.rst
(but is not finished yet).

You can also see a blog post I've made about that on
http://blog.notmyidea.org/pypi-on-couchdb.html

Also, a CouchDB instance with all the data is available at
http://couchdb.notmyidea.org/pypi/

Bear in mind this *is* a work in progress. It should address the search
problems you're talking about, and provide a RESTful API to query.

Next step is to work on a distutils2 client to query the couchdb instance.

> In any case we should focus on having these tools built on the
> standard metadata sets.
+1. eggs are unfortunately a hell to deal with when it comes to
metadata: we are forced to downlad the distributions and extract the
metadata using the setuptools egg_info command.

Cheers,
Alex
PS: please, use my @notmyidea.org adress for python related stuff.