[Catalog-sig] Total number of packages in PyPI

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 19:58:57 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> But many of the packages are not really existing in PyPI:
>> http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/329292/
>> Is there any auto-generated list of these packages
>> somewhere ?
>
> I don't know what a "not really existing" package is;

For those package, there is no page with user visible
information in "pypi" index but there is an empty "simple" index.

For example, this page give 404:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/slapos.slapmonitor/
Whereas, this page gives an empty page:
http://pypi.python.org/simple/slapos.slapmonitor/

> however, the answer to your question is most likely "no".
>
>> Is it possible to reduce the total number in the main page
>> by excluding these packages ?
>
> It might be possible, but why should this be done?

The total number is bit misleading.  It's there in "simple"
but not in "pypi" index.

P.S: I am trying to build a community site for Python 3
to collect feedback about package compatibility with Python 3:
http://getpython3.net/ This will be similar to http://isitruby19.com/
For now I have excluded the invisible packages.

Regards,
Baiju M