[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 5 19:57:00 CEST 2011

Hi there,

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Instead, PyPI is rather the small-town of the Python world: eeverybody
> can get a parcel of land, and then do on this land basically whatever
> they want. Business can open and close whenever they please.

Sounds like a hosting site for developers for me. The use case
"everybody can do whatever they want" conflicts somewhat with the use
case of being a system for others to access programmatically for
package reuse.

Anyway, to us city folk PyPI needs a few more guarantees; things that
work in a small town don't always work in the city.

>> or do we want PyPI being a well-managed place
>
> I think it's clear that PyPI won't ever be "managed", in any sense of
> the word, except to make sure that you can't stomp on somebody else's
> land (i.e. there is self-managed access control).

What about making sure there's a historical record? No management
built-into the system, but there is history.

Regards,

Martijn