[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 5 20:26:28 CEST 2011

Hi there,

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:10 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 05.07.2011 19:53, schrieb Martijn Faassen:
>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> Not at all. I can see the problem you are having. I'm just suggesting
>>> that you should take an entirely different approach to solving it,
>>> instead of the one you are heading to (i.e. make the download place
>>> provide packages "forever").
>>
>> Heading to? I've been doing this stuff since 2007. :)
>
> I think you misunderstood: I was talking about the approach you are
> heading to (i.e. a download place that provides packages "forever").
> ... unless I misunderstood, and you have been using such a mirror
> since 2007.

You're suggesting I completely rework the approach I have been using
since 2007 to avoid breakage
due to people removing releases.

>> The stuff I use typically isn't in Debian or
>> has a version in Debian I don't want to use.
>
> I try to avoid software that is not packaged in Debian, and
> work around limitations that the versions in Debian may have.

This works for a variety of use cases. But not for a whole bunch of
other use cases.

For instance: I need to deploy on a non-Debian platform. Now you again. :)

Regards,

Martijn