[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 6 03:23:11 CEST 2011

At 02:45 PM 7/5/2011 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Martijn Faassen
><faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> > I now think a special mirror might be the simplest way to solve this,
> > since mirroring infrastructure already exist.
>
>Of course, it would have to be *special*, in that it would mirror
>additions and updates, but not removal.
>
>Also, ironically, this hurts developers because it makes it harder for
>them to remove things that *really* need to be removed.

I think it's well understood that you can't put the internet back in
the bottle.  But disallowing removals in the first place takes away
the package author's right to decide what "really" means.

In any case, the developer is no worse off than in the case where
they have to convince the PyPI operators something "really" needs to
be removed, and they are better off because at least the official
distribution point for their package no longer carries the broken release.