[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:43:57 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Sergey Schetinin <sergey at maluke.com> wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 20:42, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> but the point is: I think there's some value right now in adding PEP
>> 386 support in existing tools + a prefer-final option in every
>> installers, than trying to set up a new 'stable only' pypi
>
> Well, if the data is there, it's super-easy to filter on the
> server-side.

Is that a proxy project for you or do you want the community to create
a new pypi server that filters out non-stable releases ?

If it's the latter, what version scheme will you use to decide whether
a version is alpha beta etc. ?  It would make sense to use PEP 386. If
so, the filter that you are creating can be hooked on client side as
easily as server side, the only difference is that you don't have to
change the existing infrastructure and deal with mirrors.

(unless the proxy is to be run on client side ?)

> And why repeat that work in every installer if it can be
> accomplished by supplying a different pypi index url?

Because ideally we would want all installers to behave the same way
wrt versions and PyPI repositories.

If I run a mirror of PyPI and I don't use your proxy, I don't have the
"prefer final" version. If this is a client-side option it may work on
any PyPI repo, mirror, or even on any directory containing packages
(since pip and setuptools allow scanning local dirs)

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org