[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Sergey Schetinin sergey at maluke.com
Mon Jul 11 21:03:57 CEST 2011

On 11 July 2011 21:43, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Sergey Schetinin <sergey at maluke.com> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2011 20:42, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> but the point is: I think there's some value right now in adding PEP
>>> 386 support in existing tools + a prefer-final option in every
>>> installers, than trying to set up a new 'stable only' pypi
>>
>> Well, if the data is there, it's super-easy to filter on the
>> server-side.
>
> Is that a proxy project for you or do you want the community to create
> a new pypi server that filters out non-stable releases ?
>
> If it's the latter, what version scheme will you use to decide whether
> a version is alpha beta etc. ?  It would make sense to use PEP 386. If
> so, the filter that you are creating can be hooked on client side as
> easily as server side, the only difference is that you don't have to
> change the existing infrastructure and deal with mirrors.
>
> (unless the proxy is to be run on client side ?)

That webapp (it's not *really* a proxy) took me about two hours total,
and it has to query pypi, guess what is stable and not, cache the
results. If there's no guessing and all data is local, how hard can it
be? I'm not asking anyone to do it, but it does look like it would be
a simpler, more immediate solution.

My point is, the server can use whatever the most current metadata
format is out there to make the decision, maybe falling back to
guessing if the package does not include it, and it would work
immediately, with every install tool that supports custom package
indices.

However I see that the mirrors issue makes this impractical.

--
http://self.maluke.com/