[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 21:20:36 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Sergey Schetinin <sergey at maluke.com> wrote:

> That webapp (it's not *really* a proxy) took me about two hours total,
> and it has to query pypi, guess what is stable and not, cache the
> results.

how do you guess it ? that's an interesting part

> If there's no guessing and all data is local, how hard can it
> be? I'm not asking anyone to do it, but it does look like it would be
> a simpler, more immediate solution.

istm that it can be complex to have it working over the mirrors,
unless it's a proxy on client-side.
But then we're closer to a client-side change I guess.

> My point is, the server can use whatever the most current metadata
> format is out there to make the decision, maybe falling back to
> guessing if the package does not in nclude it, and it would work
> immediately, with every install tool that supports custom package
> indices.

So right now the 'version' field is used only -- and present in all
metadata versions at PyPI.

There are now three versions schemes out there to my knowledge, with
small differences (see PEP 386 for the details) pep 386 (#3) is still
irrelevant but will start to gain traction once 3.3 is out.

Maybe there's a way to sort stable vs none stable versions across all
schemes and versions..

> However I see that the mirrors issue makes this impractical.

Yes that's the main concern

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org