[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Jul 12 15:25:34 CEST 2011

Le 11/07/2011 18:45, Tres Seaver a écrit :
> On 07/11/2011 08:41 AM, Éric Araujo wrote:
>> I was under the impression that PEP 386 only defined the syntax of
>> version numbers and a comparison algo, but no semantics.  IOW there
>> is no way for a tool to know that 2.6.33 is devel and 2.6.34 stable,
>> or that 1.0.4 does not break compatibility with 1.0.2, or anything
>> else of the sort.
>
> The PEP386 semantics are implied by the sorting order, where "final"
> (non-suffixed) releases sort higher than any suffixed releases except
> "post" releases.

I’m aware of the algo for sorting and asserting final/non-final.  I was
talking about stability and compatibility policies: PEP 386, contrary to
the misnamed Semantic Versioning spec for example, does not define
anything in this regard (this was already pointed out a few months ago
by PJE, I think).  See the examples in the quoted text above.

Regards