[Catalog-sig] Stable-releases-only PyPi

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Jul 12 16:26:45 CEST 2011

> Hmm?  In what sense would 2.6.33 ever be used for a "devel" release?

By the linux kernel project, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Odd-numbered_versions_for_development_releases

> If my application got broken by a project that made such a release, I
> would be busy ripping out a dependency produced by such an unreliable
> project, not arguing whether PyPI could / should implement some
> "technical measure" to make everything happy.

Granted, this linux kernel versioning example was extreme.  However,
compatibility issues between X.Y.Z and X.Y.Z+1 is not unheard of, and
that’s a problem that PEP 386 does not address.  (Even if it did,
nothing would prevent human error or malice, we’d still need human
checks, but at least we’d have a common base for expectations.)

> If your point is that a "stable-only" mirror could still induce breakage
> on projects which use it blindly, I certainly concur.

My point is that “stability” is not defined, at least not by PEP 386.
And even when the Trove classifiers are set, blindly trusting them would
not be a good idea.

Regards