[Catalog-sig] disallowing the removal of packages?

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Fri Jul 15 14:12:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2011 11:55 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>> Could we rewind right back to the start of this conversation when it
>> was suggested that you keep and ship a local mirror of packages you
>> rely on? Such mirroring is trivial to set up.
>
> Why force everybody who depends on PyPI making a local mirror? It may be
> trivial, but trivial * 1000 is still a lot of work.
>
> So I'd like to share the burden of setting it up and maintaining it with
> others.

Indeed.  There are enough people that desire a "write only" PyPI that
it would be less work globally for those of us that want one to share
the burden of building it.

On the other hand, even though I'm in the
don't-delete-things-from-PyPI camp myself, I'm not sure enough of its
users and maintainers share the sentiment that we'll be able to agree
to change PyPI to fulfill the roll.  We may have to build it outside
of PyPI proper.

--
Benji York