[Catalog-sig] an immutable mirror of PyPI

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jul 19 18:11:23 CEST 2011

On 07/18/2011 10:47 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> If packages have dependency list, then pypi could keep a ref count for
> each package and either not allow deletion of packages with a + count or
> require admin approval or at least inform the developer 'You are about
> to delete a package that other programs depend on: you sure you want to
> delete it?' followed 'Are you really really sure? Can we keep the file
> for a few months and give users a warning?"

An interesting idea. Wouldn't work for code that isn't on PyPI (an
internal project or whatever). It also would work less well with
removing older versions: show it forbid throwing away 3.2 if there's a
3.3, or not? Requirements along the line of foo <= 3.2 exist, but are
not very common, and cannot anticipate changes in future releases.

(giving users a warning is another feature we don't have now in PyPI)

Regards,

Martijn