[Catalog-sig] Thoughts on more detailed stats

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:58:34 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> I don't know why downloading something as part of a buildout would be any
> different that doing a "pip install".  I almost never download anything except
> with buildout.

Because when you are running a buildout to install a Plone, what you
are really doing is "installing Plone" -- downloading setuptools
within this process is just something the build tool does to work, and
does not necessarily means the final app uses it.

A fresh buildout call w/ the bootstrap script == one hit to
zc.buildout + one hit to setuptools

When you do an explicit "pip install XXX" you are installing XXX as an end-user.

>> Another way would be to ask Continuous Integration systems to use a
>> specific user agent marker.
>>
>> In the UI we could then make the distinction in the download hits between:
>>
>> 1/ downloads by the end users to install the project
>> 2/ downloads by build tools.
>> 3/ "indirect" downloads as dependencies
>>
>> This is still a bit vague in my head, but I think it would be valuable
>> for people to have such details
>
> I think it would help to ask what the goals of the statistics are?
> The statistics are presumably used to answer some questions. What are
> those questions?

A/ is my project that provides end users script but also modules that
can be reused by other apps, is:

1/ being installed by end users explicitly via easy_install, pip or a
direct distutils install
2/ just pulled as a dependency for another project

B/ does the 126543265423 download hits I get for my project were done
by automated build scripts or for installations ?

C/ how can we differentiate the "end users" projects in PyPI, as
opposed to build tools like zc.buildout or setuptools

D/ Which projects are the ones my project is mostly downloaded for as
a dependency ?

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org