[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu May 12 23:44:15 CEST 2011

Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think some people are unaware of the fact that hosting themselves
>> their packages can lead to problems when their websites are down.
>>
>> I'd like to propose these two very simple changes:
>
> Both sound fairly sensible to me.
>
> But why not do something a little less sensible, but a lot more
> useful? If the package is hosted externally grab a copy and host it
> locally. Then pip and friends can fall back to downloading from pypi
> if the original download URL is broken.

If that's done in a way so that package authors can enable this
functionality, that would be a possible solution as well.

In the end, I think it's better to contact the package author
to get the problem fixed.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 12 2011)
2011-06-20: EuroPython 2011, Florence, Italy               39 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/