[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 13 03:09:34 CEST 2011

Jacob Kaplan-Moss <jacob at jacobian.org> writes:

> But why not do something a little less sensible, but a lot more
> useful? If the package is hosted externally grab a copy and host it
> locally. Then pip and friends can fall back to downloading from pypi
> if the original download URL is broken.

That would require that PyPI accept packages only if the license terms
allow PyPI to redistribute the work.

I would support such a policy, but I think the PyPI administrator does
not. I'd love to know otherwise.

--
 \       “The Vatican is not a state.… a state must have people. There |
  `\    are no Vaticanians.… No-one gets born in the Vatican except by |