[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Fri May 13 19:19:41 CEST 2011

Le 13/05/2011 19:12, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com a écrit :
> On 03:21 pm, merwok at netwok.org wrote:
>> If you run “sdist” and then “sdist upload”, is the sdist
>> recreated even though there have been no changes to the files?
> Yes, the sdist is recreated.

Arg, I thought the *dist commands were smarter.

> I'm not concerned about the efficiency, though.  I'm concerned about the
> quality of the build.  I want to generate a release, *test it*, and then
> upload it.  Being forced to generate it and upload it at the same time
> gets in the way of this.

Right.  Now you have to run “sdist”, test the result, and run “sdist
upload” hoping it will create the exact same file (I don’t see why it
wouldn’t, but then again we’re talking about distutils <wink>, and there
are also filesystem issues and all that).  If this bug was fixed (the
needless regeneration), would it be enough, or would you still like a
way to upload an arbitrary file and let PyPI accept or reject it?

(BTW, what kind of testing are you talking about?  Unpackaging, running
the test suite, installation?  What tool are you using for that?)

Regards