[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat May 14 02:15:28 CEST 2011

Am 13.05.2011 17:21, schrieb Éric Araujo:
> Le 12/05/2011 21:04, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com a écrit :
>> On 03:57 pm, ziade.tarek at gmail.com wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I'll definitely do something in distutils2 but maybe someone has a
>>> better idea ?
>> Make it easier to upload packages to PyPI.  For example, [...]
>> make "upload" work even if the package files exist on
>> the filesystem somewhere already.
>
> You’re referring to the fact that “upload” won’t push files already
> present in dist/, right?  I don’t know whether this was a design choice
> of Martin or merely done for code simplicity

It's an explicit choice. Namely, the choice to have the uploader specify
what kind of file this is, and what version of Python it is for, and
what release it belongs to. The dist* commands have that information
available.

Short of changing the upload command, it should be possible to write
a "existing_dist" command which accepts a file name, guesses file type
and Python version, and then allows users to do

python setup.py existing_dist --file foo.tgz upload