[Catalog-sig] PyPI's external packages

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Sun May 15 00:46:00 CEST 2011

On 14 May 2011 18:58, Stefan Krah <stefan-usenet at bytereef.org> wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>> - in packaging/distutils2, when the register command is called, just
>>> state that uploading the package would be a good idea  :)
>>
>> That is an opinion, not a fact. For some circumstances, it may not be a
>> good idea.
>
> I've uploaded my first package about half a year ago, so perhaps the
> following points might give some insight into the issues that new users
> encounter as well as the decisions they have to make.
>
> 1) The terms and conditions: As Terry mentioned, the terms and conditions
>   are not very clear. I understood the intent only after reading VanL's
>   comments in an old thread. Many package authors come from a culture
>   that rejects licenses that require interpretation by a lawyer. As a
>   consequence, they upload as little as possible.

This is interesting to me. Do you have a reference to that old posting
of VanL's because I think I might have missed it. As far as I can tell
there are no explicit terms and conditions on submissions to PyPI. It
is stated in a couple of places that the code must be "open source"
but I don't recall any serious discussion of the requirement.

     Richard