[Catalog-sig] group maintenance of packages?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Nov 6 20:21:43 CET 2011

Hi, over at https://launchpad.net/launchpad-project we've got a group
of nearly 20 developers writing and maintaining the various bits of
python code involved in developing running and scripting Launchpad.
Approximately all of it is open source, and much of that we publish on
PyPI. (Some bits are not Python, so not suitable for PyPI :P).

We've got a bit of a maintenance issue though: we have to maintain the
list of folk that can do releases manually for all of these packages.
At the moment we try to make sure there are at least two folk from the
team listed on every package, and if/when one of them leaves the team
we go around and manually add another person (and remove the person
that left the team if they are no longer interested in maintaining
stuff).

I'm wondering if there is an existing way to reduce that overhead
(e.g. there is an API that would let us script a syncronisation with
our team list from Launchpad), or whether we need to (or it would be
better to) extend PyPI to understand the concept of 'team' or 'group'
and let such a team or group be placed in a role.

Your thoughts desired :)

Cheers,
Rob