[Catalog-sig] New classifiers for Plone

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Nov 18 17:17:29 CET 2011

Alex Clark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/18/11 8:23 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Alex Clark wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> There has been a discussion on distutils recently re: new trove classifiers for Plone. We have
>>> settled on asking for the following new trove classifiers to be added:
>>>

>>>     Framework :: Plone :: 3.3
>>>     Framework :: Plone :: 4.0
>>>     Framework :: Plone :: 4.1
>>>     Framework :: Plone :: 4.2
>>>     Framework :: Plone :: 4.3
>>>
>>> We will then encourage our add-on developers to use them in their add-ons, and implement new search
>>> functionality on http://plone.org/products accordingly.
>>>
>>> Any objections? If not, please feel free to add these at your earliest convenience.
>>
>> You should also include:
>>
>> Framework :: Plone
>> Framework :: Plone :: 3
>> Framework :: Plone :: 4
>>
>> to make the set complete.
>

> We actually don't want those, unless you want to use 4 instead of 4.0. Using 3 (or 3.0) does not
> help us, as we don't intend to classify add-ons for releases prior to egg-based Plone releases
> (starting at 3.2).

Well, you don't, but users may want to browser PyPI and other similar
indexes based on products for Plone, Plone 3 and Plone 4.

The reasoning behind using major release classifiers is that package
authors may now want to update the classifiers for their packages
every time you issue a new release (by making a new release of the
package).

The unqualified category is needed for consistency with the other parent
categories in the trove index.

> We also discussed keeping the list as small as possible on the other thread.

The above just follows the same schema as used for Python itself:

Programming Language :: Python
Programming Language :: Python :: 2
Programming Language :: Python :: 2.3
Programming Language :: Python :: 2.4
Programming Language :: Python :: 2.5
Programming Language :: Python :: 2.6
Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7
Programming Language :: Python :: 3
Programming Language :: Python :: 3.0
Programming Language :: Python :: 3.1
Programming Language :: Python :: 3.2

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 18 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/