[Catalog-sig] New classifiers for Plone

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 20:47:07 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Alex Clark wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> You should also include:
>>>
>>> Framework :: Plone
>>> Framework :: Plone :: 3
>>> Framework :: Plone :: 4
>>>
>>> to make the set complete.
>>

>> We actually don't want those, unless you want to use 4 instead of 4.0. Using 3 (or 3.0) does not
>> help us, as we don't intend to classify add-ons for releases prior to egg-based Plone releases
>> (starting at 3.2).
>
> Well, you don't, but users may want to browser PyPI and other similar
> indexes based on products for Plone, Plone 3 and Plone 4.
>
> The reasoning behind using major release classifiers is that package
> authors may now want to update the classifiers for their packages
> every time you issue a new release (by making a new release of the
> package).
>
> The unqualified category is needed for consistency with the other parent
> categories in the trove index.
>
>> We also discussed keeping the list as small as possible on the other thread.
>
> The above just follows the same schema as used for Python itself:

I understand the need for Python itself, but for Plone or <put a
framework name here>, does that make sense to add/maintain in the
Trove the framework versions ? that's an endless list to maintain, and
it makes me think that maybe we should allow *custom* trove
classifiers, so people can extend that list without having to ask
additions in the main trove list all the time

Cheers
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org