[Catalog-sig] PyPI trove classifiers for alternate language implementations

Michael Foord fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:06:21 CEST 2011

On 16 September 2011 00:18, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> Michael Foord wrote:

> >> Better user CPython, PyPy and Jython for consistency with the
> >> other Trove spellings.
> >>
> >> I'm -0 on the "Implementation" part. Do we really need this ?
> >>

> > Jython, PyPy and CPython are not "programming languages" they're
> > implementations of the Python programming language - so I would prefer to
> > differentiate like this.
>
> Well, yes, but if you look at the OS section of the Trove list
> you also find different implementations of BSD under the
> BSD category:
>
> Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD
> Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: BSD/OS
> Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: FreeBSD
> Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: NetBSD
> Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD :: OpenBSD

Well, they're BSD variants whereas pypy (and other implementations) aim very
much not to be variants. I'd still rather see them listed under a Python
implementation sub-classifier but it isn't a big deal.

> (just to take one exmaple)
>
> See http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers for the full
> list.
>
> Also note that Cython is listed as:
>
> Programming Language :: Cython

That's correct. Cython is a programming language not an implementation. I
would include Shedskin as a programming language rather than an
implementation too. Listing implementations as programming languages loses
the ability to make this distinction at the classifier level (and is also
*incorrect* to my mind).

> even Zope is listed as programming language:
>
> Programming Language :: Zope

That's odd. :-)

> so there isn't all that much consistency in the naming.
>
> BTW: Stackless is missing from your list.

Right. Stackless should probably be on the list as libraries may depend on
Stackless features.

All the best,

Michael

--