[Catalog-sig] Renaming my PyPI package

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:39:54 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm hoping to rename one of my PyPI packages in the near future. There
seems to be an interface where this is possible, but I can't find much
in the way of docs about how it works.

What I was wondering was what PyPI will do with requests for the old
name in future. i.e. if someone does "pip install oldname"
the day after I rename it to "newname" and release a new version, will they get

1) My new version, as if they had typed "pip install newname"
2) The last release of "oldname"
3) An error message saying "oldname has been renamed to newname"
4) An error message saying "unknown package oldname"

?

Thanks,
Geoff Bache