[Catalog-sig] parsing setuptools style requires.txt

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Sep 13 15:33:08 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2011, at 11:31 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:43 AM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:

>> In any case, allowing buildout to get requirements info before
>> downloading packages would be a useful optimization, but wouldn't
>> solve the conflict problem.
>
> yes, backtracking would :) or at least it would solve some of them. Do you
> think it's doable even if there's no pypi api to get requirements?

I'm sure backtracking is doable. I suspect it's rather hard. In any case,
it's orthogonal to avoiding downloading to get requirements.

> I think this would be a great feature as conflict errors are very
> frustrating for new users. They also tend come up in buildout more than any
> other tool due to the way to it's normally used and new users tend to blame
> buildout for this.

Maybe. In the interest of being incremental, I think it would be better
start with improving the current algorithm short of backtracking.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton