[Catalog-sig] Fwd: The state of PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 27 12:04:25 CEST 2011

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> = stability and high availability =
>
> we went in two directions to improve PyPI :
>
> 1/ add the mirroring protocol
> 2/ make the PyPI server more reliable by pushing its storage in a
> redundant cloud.
> == better infra ==
>
> I think the project is staled right now.

True, I don't have the needed cycles to make progress and neither
do the team members. We do have the Amazon infrastructure setup
(EC2, CloudFront, S3), and some progress has been made to sync
the S3 storage with the local copies of the packages.

The next steps would be to implement a trigger based sync scheme
for packages and the simple/ index, i.e. new uploads should trigger
an S3 copy process and update the simple/ index on S3 as well.

For more info, please have a look at the wiki page:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/CloudPyPI

Here's the original proposal:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/CloudPyPI/Proposal

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 27 2011)
2011-10-04: PyCon DE 2011, Leipzig, Germany                 7 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/