[Catalog-sig] PyPI mirrors are all up to date

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 16 23:23:07 CEST 2012

Am 16.04.2012 23:05, schrieb Tarek Ziadé:
> On 4/16/12 10:57 PM, ken cochrane wrote:
>> That would be nice, you could include other stats information as well
>> (not sure what yet).
> sounds like a nice "checksum" addition to PEP 381- that'd avoid
> client-side parsing just to get the number of mirrored packages.

I'm not sure what purpose this would serve. I already don't see the
point in computing the number of mirrored packages or the number of
mirrored files (other than to rejoice the PyPI maintainer: wow,
we have 20545 packages in PyPI! It was only 10,000 just a short time
ago).

I think the original requester of this feature suggested that as a
sanity check, apparently not trusting the last-modified information.
If it's really this kind of distrust, any generated stats information
should be just as distrusted. For example, it may be that mirrors
failed to correctly copy one of the files, or show other
inconsistencies. No mirror-generated statistics would indicate this
problem.

So before extending the protocol, there should be some serious
motivation for it.