[Catalog-sig] ANN: pythonpackages.com beta

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Wed Aug 1 20:19:52 CEST 2012

Hi

On 8/1/12 2:09 PM, Eric P. Mangold wrote:
[snip]

>>> Debian et. all solve this with signed packages. I would be happy to download
>>> Debian packages from http://pythonpackages.com all day long :)
>>

>> That's good to know, and probably I direction I'd like to head in.
>> To be clear: I want to do any-useful-thing-I-can (within the
>> ballpark) in order to start alleviating pain points for folks today.
>
> Cool,
>
> Well one thing would be to make all of your source code open-source, if that is not already the case(?)
>
> I can imagine wanting to run some pythonpackaging.com infrastructure outside of pythonpackages.com

I <3 open source and it could happen, but it hasn't yet (for various
reasons). I have a FAQ about it here:

-
http://docs.pythonpackages.com/en/latest/faq.html#is-pythonpackages-com-open-source

>>> Debian also rely upon trusted build machines. But they are a more-or-less open
>>> organization with open review of what goes on.
>>>
>>> That said, I don't have a problem with people placing their trust in you. I don't
>>> know you, and don't have any opinion on it to be honest. You're probably a good guy ;)
>>>
>>> I would suggest working toward BEING a better PyPI mirror. Build
>>> the infrastructure necessary for people to publish python SOURCE packages,
>>> as they are, to PyPI, to pythonpackages.com, etc. etc. There is a lot of value
>>> to be added there.
>>

>> Actually I'm mostly relying on the crate.io project (Donald Stufft)
>> for this. I don't want pythonpackages.com to be a PyPI mirror,
>> because other people are already doing this. The only related
>> feature I'm considering (because folks have asked for it) is private
>> PyPIs (something like index.pythonpackages.com only persistent).
>>

>>> Build tools to make python packaging easy. On your laptop. On the cloud. Wherever.
>>> Open SOURCE is good like that.
>>
>> Indeed! Currently working on a Windows version of pythonpackages.com
>> to build Windows binaries (currently it only builds on Ubuntu).
>>

> The key point I was making was that SOURCE is good, because then it's not just "some cloud service"
> that could be here today and gone tomorrow - It's actually something people can rely on moving
> forward. (in addition to being a service you run).

I don't disagree, but I'm also not convinced that it has to be that way
to be successful.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com/ONE_CLICK