[Catalog-sig] Proposal: close the PyPI file-replacement loophole

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Feb 1 10:20:24 CET 2012

Richard Jones wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 19:36, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> If you actually cared about security, you'd already be using, recording and
>> checking the MD5 checksums provided with each download and would already
>> know that this isn't a security loophole.
>>
>> If you're not, then quit with the security theater.
>
> I believe the "security theater" of MD5 was proven, and exploits
> freely available, back in 2005 :-)

Perhaps we ought to rename the thread to: "Proposal: add SHA hashes to
distribution files", then :-)

I'd be +1 on that since it does actually add security to PyPI.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 01 2012)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/