[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

PJ Eby ownerscircle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 01:01:55 CET 2012

On Feb 5, 2012 1:48 PM, "Alex Clark" <aclark at aclark.net> wrote:
> pythonpackages.com considers this to be "zero downloads". if there was an
API for off-site downloads to report back to PyPI then maybe we could use
it to report those statistics on pythonpackages.com. AFAIK there is
currently no such thing. (I used to have a tool tip in place that explained
this; I'll put it back ASAP. crate.io has something similar in place IIRC.)

Perhaps instead of zero with a tooltip, you could just say "N/A" for
releases that don't list any files -- or just exclude the download line
altogether.

You do, after all, know whether a release has any files from its PyPI data,
so you do know the difference between "zero downloads" and "unknown
downloads".