[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Feb 6 21:33:27 CET 2012

On 02/06/2012 09:08 PM, Stefan Krah wrote:
> Martijn Faassen<faassen at startifact.com>  wrote:
>> original poster's choice to host somewhere else, but it can indeed be
>> inconvenient to quite a few users of PyPI if a package is not hosted on
>> PyPI.
>
> I don't see any inconvenience since bytereef.org has a comparable
> uptime to python.org.

I've experienced a site which was hosting a Python package which had
awesome uptime, but then something was screwed up about the security of
the host at some point and while it remained up, it took forever
(months? years?) to get resolved.

So anyway, it's great bytereef.org has great uptime, but it's also clear
relying on 10 sites, even if each have a great uptime and network
reachability is going to give me worse uptime than having to rely on
one, if that one has a reasonable uptime. Unless of course the content
is mirrored, in which case reliability goes up.

> I've listed my reasons for not hosting on PyPI earlier here:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/catalog-sig/2011-May/003746.html

Interesting, and thank you for the reference. Your reasons make sense of
course, though they don't tip the balance for me personally. I notice
all your reasons (besides the uptime one) are about control over your
package as the author. The arguments I've made from the perspective of
package users. I'm a package author too; plenty of my stuff on PyPI, but
I'm an even bigger user of other people's code.

Regards,

Martijn