[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacob at jacobian.org
Mon Feb 6 23:11:56 CET 2012

Daniel Greenfeld wrote:
> I've been told that 'professional deployments should not been done
> from PyPI for years. That's always irked me quite a bit, and I think
> that things should change.

I completely agree.

I'm one of those people who's told you that you can't reply on PyPI for
repeatable, bullet-proof deployments. That's a statement of fact, but
it's not a situation I'm particularly happy with. It'd be a pretty great
thing for our community if we could improve PyPI to the point that it
has sufficient reliability.

It's not a particularly hard problem technically, but it is going to
require us to stop being content with the status quo and push PyPI forward.

Alex, Donald, et al. -- keep up the good work!

Jacob