[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Tue Feb 7 02:40:33 CET 2012

On 7 February 2012 12:17, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> so repository support in PyPI must be at least as old as 2005.

It was added during the sprints at US PyCon 2005 in DC. Here's a
horribly blurry photo (taken with a phone camera before such things
were worth a damn) of the work being done in part by Martin (who
implemented the GPG signature side of the upload - IIRC Mick was
working on the new template-based rendering code while I was working
on the actual upload command):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_jones/7024147/in/set-72157594192581620/

I had always intended for PyPI to be a repository like CPAN so that
package authors could have a convenient place to distribute their
files. Just like we now have a convenient place for them to also host
documentation (though RTFD now also provides hosting for this.)

     Richard