[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 7 19:58:04 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM, PJ Eby wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>
> My point about this: if a person does not want
> to host its package on PyPi than it should stay away from PyPI. Package
> hygiene and a certain level of professional package repository is more
> important and personal reasons for not hosting packages on PyPI.
>

> Note that PyPI is also used to publish metadata about packages which are
> in development and only available in snapshot releases or revision control
> systems.  So the "it shouldn't be hosted elsewhere" argument doesn't really
> wash.'
>
> This is a matter of opinion really, Personally I think if your package is
> in development you should publish snapshot releases to PyPI.

Yes, but now we get into the wonderful world of how many releases do you
actually want active vs. hidden vs. deleted, and now there are that many
more files to be possible frozen and mirrored and archived and whatnot,
which isn't really suitable for such dev releases.

(Also, in the specific case of my snapshot-only packages, I have automated
builds that keep a rotating set of snapshots in a server-local download
directory for public access; I wouldn't want that build process
automatically uploading that stuff to PyPI, as it adds more moving parts
for things to break on my end.)