[Catalog-sig] What is the point of pythonpackages.com?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 7 22:31:50 CET 2012

> I'm talking about the scenario where the authors did get correct
> information into the index, and
> information such as package description, authors, classifiers etc are
> still all correct, and the only thing that broke is
> the download link. I.e. all the information *managed* by PyPI is
> correct but what PyPI is pointing to isn't any more. This is an
> incorrectness that isn't under PyPI's control. It's similar to the
> situation where a website URL that a PyPI page points to breaking, but
> with more serious consequences for tools. This is because release
> files are a bit more like package metadata than they are like links.

I agree that it's more serious to the users (although I find a stale
home page or an incorrect contact email address fairly serious too).

I still maintain that none of this incorrectness is PyPI's "fault",
or that we should feel responsible for fixing it. It's just a storage
of information, with no responsibility on python.org's side except to
preserve the data (within legal and moral boundaries).

If you, for some reason, don't like packages who don't upload their
source code to PyPI, then don't use them. Out of principle, I personally
don't use non-free software if there is a free alternative available
(regardless where it's hosted), but I wouldn't demand that all software
on PyPI must be free.

Likewise, you really should accept the status quo with respect to file
hosting as a good thing: people apparently *want* to do things in
different ways, also in ways that you consider unprofessional and
hurtful to the users of the software. Just don't use such packages
if you don't like them.