[Catalog-sig] bunch of spam packages

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 19:35:44 CET 2012

>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/house/0.9
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/hardwork/0.9
>>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/car/0.9
>>>
>>> ...all spamvertising the same website.
>>
>> It appears to me to be an honest attempt at humor[1] using the
>> setuptools dependency mechanism rather than spam per se. Using Google
>> Translate on the blog, it looks plausibly like a legitimate Chinese
>> Python blogger.
>>
>> [1] Albeit lame and sexist to my American ears. Perhaps it plays better
>> in China.
>
> They're junk, and should be removed,

I don't disagree per se[1], but I do think that in this case an email to the
author (or blog comment) first would be a better response than silently removing
the packages.

[1] Though to be fair, we would also have to remove antigravity, which I didn't
want to do before this set of joke package. Alas, there is no policy that allows
antigravity while forbidding girlfriend except perhaps taste.

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/antigravity/

> along with all the .nested list printers

Similarly, I think that something along the lines of a single, mass-Bcc'ed email
to the authors on record would be better than silently removing the packages. If
only we could borrow Guido's time machine to prevent the author of _Head First
Python_ from using this as an exercise...

> I have to say, I like the idea of requiring moderation for your first package...

Except for the nested list printers, there hasn't been a significant problem
that moderation would solve, in my opinion.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco