[Catalog-sig] "testime" : package name conflict

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 24 05:43:13 CET 2012

On 1/23/2012 5:26 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> That the package appears to have little value to you is no reason to
> delete it from the package index. The policy for using package names
> is clearly "first-come, first served", except in extraordinary
> circumstances such as trademark infringement.
>
> That the author is unresponsive is more of a reason to delete the
> package from the index. In the past, we used that as a reason to
> reassign package maintenance to a new maintainer.

In this case, the project url http://www.gthc.org/
redirects to http://tkadm30.elite-server.co.uk/
an 'Apache Test Page', and the project download page
http://www.gthc.org/distfiles/teatime-1.0.2.tar.gz
is not found. (Too bad, my daugher might have found some interest in
whatever this was.)  If this continue very long, this would seem like a
good candidate for removal, freeing up the name.

Perhaps we should have a simple link checker run every so often and if
all project urls stay out of service for a while flag the project
somehow, and eventually delete.

--
Terry Jan Reedy