[Catalog-sig] Flag to tell pip to only install uploaded files

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Thu Jul 5 07:20:24 CEST 2012

On 5 July 2012 15:00, Donald Stufft <donald.stufft at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the cleanest way would be to just have a way to tell pip to
> only install the files that are uploaded to PyPI (alternately, files
> from a direct download link). In other words, I want to force
> pip/easy_install to *not* do any link scraping.
>
> Sounds like something that honestly belongs in pip.
>
> Something like ``pip --disable-external``.
>
> Possibly something like ``pip --only-stable`` or something (if versions can
> be parsed by PEP 345?).

This sort of thing would be nice to have - especially if it could be
configured to be on by default (with command-line args to enable the
reverse behaviour.) Though to be quite honest I don't actually know
how many packages I currently use that aren't downloaded directly from
the cheeseshop.

I wonder whether we could have a "stable" index view on PyPI which
displays the above, just like your "restricted" view? Just thinking
out loud - I don't actually have any time to implement such a thing
right now :-)

    Richard